Spicefactory Forum Index Spicefactory
Forum Archive

SearchSearch    Log inLog in 

A Decade of Spices has come to an End

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spicefactory Forum Index -> Spicefactory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jens Halm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: A Decade of Spices has come to an End Reply with quote

For those who were not following all the discussions here on the forum and who also do not check the news section, here is the final Spicefactory news entry:

http://www.spicefactory.org/news/news-2013-01-14.php

Last edited by Jens Halm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
rattkin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess we saw that coming. Changes are a good thing on a personal level, though a bit unnerving looking from a social/community perspective.

From my part, I'm very grateful for the existence of Flex and Parsley/Spicelib. It is only with these, I've managed to establish a "sweet spot" in my frontside application development, properly applying sometimes elusive OO patterns. Years of working with Parsley and browsing Parsley sources made me a better developer and those skills are certainly transferable to whatever next technology that will arrive.

My thanks for you, Jens, for creating such a brilliant code gem, great documentation and extensive support via forums. All the best in the future endeavours.

Also thanks for others, especially for Alex Galays, for helping me solve my code challenges and providing a fresh insight on the problem.

That said, while I share Jens's view on current state of the industry (when it comes to Flex/Adobe), I think that the nearest future isn't that grim perhaps. Somehow I'm still able to find Flex contracts that pay my bills and the focus now shifts to desktop/air and slowly, but consistently, to mobile apps (not games) thanks to air deployment. So there's still a place for Flex, Flash, AIR and Parsley. Myself, I'm migrating slowly towards iOS development and I plan on a combination of techniques that will mimic Parsley/Flex development in iOS - IoC container, messaging, decoupled and standard databinding. But because I'm currently working with Flex, you can expect me checking Parsley forums quite regularly for at least several months - and I will try to answer and help, whenever I will be able to.
after24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: A Decade of Spices has come to an End Reply with quote

Hi Jens,

A lot of thanks for this fantastic framework. I'll continue to use it in my projects (flex is still alive btw Wink)

All the best !
Alex.Galays

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your hard work mate; Open source or not, it's not often that you see such quality ("wootHackwoot").

I'm also bidding my farewell to the Parsley community as I moved on to non Flex development (HTML/JS/CSS, scala and all kind of trendy web stuff); Had a lot of fun but the other side is at least as much fun and has a brighter future.

Cheers!
masuland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your great work in the Flex community. We will continue using Parsley in our forthcoming projects. Hopefully, someone can be found to jump into your footsteps in future. We will miss you ... Cheers!
Hareth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, while I don't think that hold much value, I just wanted to say that in my short career, I have never learnt more than by reading your code.
Even if in the future, I am not sure I will use Parsley again, I'll always regard that framework as one of the best pieces of architecture I've been able to work with.
For all this reasons, I hope I will be able to work again with one of your libraries.

Thanks for everything you have done with Spicefactory, and thanks for sharing that amazing framework with us.
Best regards,

Franšois de Campredon
mushroomhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just one of these anonymous guys who never took part in any discusions here - this is my debut- but I've been reading posts on this forum for a year and half almost on daily basis.As far as I am concerned I could say to have kinda a Cairngorm background. Here are my roots. Later I was made aware there were other Flex frameworks. So basically I learnt them one by one. Parsley was the last. And I still remember as if it were yesterday my first encounter with Parsley documentation on Sunday morning during my summer holiday. Since then I've been using it heavily together with Zend Amf.

Jens, I just wanted to say my thank you for your hard work. I really appreciate it!!

In your last post you mentioned that you called your first Scala library Laika. It really moved me. Having read that I thought to myself that you must be a very sensitive human being. RESPECT!!! You're the man!

I don't know if I am allowed to paste links here but there is a song "Moan" in memory of Laika by Trentem°ller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vkj-t1ytzo

All the best!!
borekb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad times for us still stuck with Flex projects Smile But thanks for your hard work over the years and best of luck for your next ventures!

Borek
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spicefactory Forum Index -> Spicefactory All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: